11 Household Items Are Seriously Hazardous for Your Pets

Household things that are harmful to your pets

Make sure you keep these household items away from your pets to keep them happy and healthy.

Flowers and plants

Easter Lillies Are Dangerous to Pets

Easter Lilies

While they may be pretty, lilies are one of the most poisonous plants for cats. Petside suggests keeping them out of the house (or better yet, purchase artificial flowers). Be aware of symptoms of lily poisoning which include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Call your vet as soon as possible if you think your pet has ingested lily. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says that without immediate care, cats who eat lily may develop life-threatening kidney failure within 36 to 72 hours of ingestion.

Poinsettias

Holiday poinsettias are also dangerous for pets, though not as worrisome as the lily. This doesn’t mean your pet should eat this pretty red Christmas decoration, since doing so will likely lead to stomach pain and discomfort, including vomiting.

The ASPCA’s compiled a searchable plant database of dangerous plants (listing over 400 items). Check it out if you are considering bringing a new plant home.

Dangerous foods

Chocolate is harmful to petsChocolate

Chocolate might have plenty of health benefits for humans, but it’s a harmful food for pets. Petside says most adults know this, but that it’s adults’ responsibility to make sure children know, too. Keep little ones from giving chocolate to pets and do your best to supervise.

All kinds of candy–including candy wrappers

Too much sugar can give your pet a bellyache, but worse, if wrappers are swallowed, your pet risks tearing of the esophagus or intestines. Clean up as best and frequently as you can when candy is being unwrapped.

More harmful foods

Your pets should also steer clear of chewing gum, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, avocados, onions, garlic, salt, raw yeast dough, and fatty foods. Here are some other foods that can be seriously hazardous to your pet.

Holiday hazards

Ribbons are dangerous to catsEaster and Christmas décor

Plastic eggs, if ingested, can rip tears in the digestive system. Likewise, spoiled hard boiled eggs, if ingested, can make pets ill. Easter grass and tinsel are attractive, but deadly. Pets who attempt to eat these garlands and garnishes can choke, or lethally damage their intestines. At Easter, try real grass or crumpled paper instead. At Christmas, cat-proof your tree by avoiding tinsel. (It’s not unusual for your pet to have separation anxiety during the holidays—here’s how you can help relieve it.)

Other holiday safety tips:

New Year’s: Forego confetti and keep an eye on balloons. If they deflate, they become a choking hazard.

Valentine’s Day: Keep their paws off the chocolates and far from the flowers.

4th of July: Be mindful of fireworks and related paraphernalia.

Halloween: Use flameless candles, and keep candy out of harm’s way. (Speaking of Halloween, you won’t want to miss these adorable Halloween costume ideas for your dog.)

Thanksgiving: Throw turkey bones in the trash.

Christmas: Keep pets out of tree water, and be attentive when they show interest in ornaments, decoration hooks, ribbon, and Styrofoam. (Did you hear about this dog that “ate Christmas”?)

Small colorful toys are harmful if swallowedTreacherous toys

Small, brightly colored toys hold the same appeal for pets as they do children. The problem is that they are choking hazards. Petside’s advice is to keep small toys in a place safely hidden from pets.